Litigation. Roberto practices commercial litigation, and in particular national and international arbitration, in various countries, and conducted in accordance with the rules of the major institutions. Roberto assists the client in identifying the commercial objectives of each issue, including providing a risk assessment in the event of litigation, outlining the most likely scenario of each case (according to the best, most likely and worst case scenario of the outcome of the lawsuit) taking into consideration the cost (both in financial terms and in terms of human resources) and how long resolution of the issue via court action is likely to take.
A sample of recent matters include arbitrations:
• in New York, before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration for a contract dispute between aviation companies;
• in the U.S., before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) arbitration dealing with a $700 million claim related to an LNG plant;
• in England, before the ICC related to a subsea oil field development project;
• in Israel, before the ICC, in relation to a solar power plant;
• in Switzerland, before ICC, representing a US company in a telecommunications dispute;
• in Italy, before the Milan Chamber of Commerce (CAM), in a dispute regarding a wind energy project;
• in England, before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), between an Italian company and a Norwegian company dealing with the interpretation of a cooperation agreement;
• in Italy, before the CAM, for a securitization claim valued at over €100 million;
• in France, before the ICC, in relation to a construction claim between Kuwaiti companies;
• in South Africa, before the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa (AFSA) for claims regarding an energy plant; and
• in Singapore, before the ICC, between Malaysian companies and under English law.
Roberto is familiar with early dispute resolution techniques (EDR) and has been actively involved in the drafting and implementation of the EDR policies of his clients. In this context, a special expertise has been developed in the compilation of early case assessments of the disputes, to be used for the preparation to settlement negotiations and/or litigation and for the interactions and risk controls of the independent auditors.
Commercial Transactions. Roberto’s experience in commercial transactions in Italy and abroad includes the negotiation and drafting of contracts such as Framework Agreements, Supply Agreements, Distribution Agreements and Agency Agreements. He also assists clients in Lease negotiations for both commercial and residential property and related real estate transactions, including the establishment of a real estate owned company, and has represented both Italian companies and foreign investors in mergers and acquisitions in Italy. Roberto has also participated in the contract administration of major pending projects (especially, turn-key contracts for the construction of plants) and set internal procedures on key matters, such as document retention and the content of the communications with the end-customers and the suppliers.
Investigations. In addition, Roberto has experience in conducting internal investigations for corporate clients, including employer liability for the acts/omissions of their employees pursuant to Law 231/2001, compliance with labor laws and intellectual property protection.
Ph.D. in Private Comparative Law, University College of London
Law Degree, University of Florence
Admitted in Italy to the Milan Bar
Italian and English